Kansas Foreclosure Help – Stop Foreclosure in Kansas


Finding Foreclosure Help in Kansas

Foreclosure prevention counseling services are provided free of charge by nonprofit housing counseling agencies working in partnership with the Federal Government. These agencies are funded, in part, by HUD and NeighborWorks® America. There is no need to pay a private company for these services.

Kansas City Regional Office

400 State Avenue
Room 507
Kansas City, KS 66101-2406

Phone: (913) 551-5644
Email: KS_Webmanager@hud.gov

Fax: (913) 551-5469
TTY: (913) 551-6972

Deputy Regional Director

Jurisdiction: State of Kansas and Western half of Missouri

Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Monday through Friday

Kansas Foreclosure Laws Summary

Quick Facts:

  • Judicial foreclosure process is available.
  • Non-judicial foreclosure process is not available.
  • The primary security instruments are mortgages.
  • The timeline can vary by process, which typically takes 120 days.
  • The borrower has rights of redemption.
  • The lender may sue for deficiency judgements.

In Kansas, lenders may use the judicial foreclosure process to foreclose on mortgages in default.

Judicial Foreclosure

The lender must file a lawsuit to obtain a court order to foreclose. Once the order to foreclose has been approved, the property can then be sold at an auction to the highest bidder.

A notice of sale must be published in the newspaper once a week for 3 consecutive weeks to inform the public about the upcoming sale. The last ad should be published no later than 7 days, and not more than 14 days before the sale. Also, another notice must also be sent to the borrower 5 days after the first ad has been published.

The auction will be held at the county courthouse where the property is located. The winning bidder shall receive a certificate of purchase, as well as a sheriff’s deed which will certify that he will be the owner of the property once the borrower forfeits on his right of redemption, which usually lasts up to 1 year.

A deficiency judgement may be sued by the lender, but only for the difference between the foreclosure sale price and the original mortgage price.